Thursday 8 August 2013

A Mystery Visitor To Our Pond - What type of fish is this ?

About 3-4 days ago I was sat on the edge of our wildlife pond, just gazing into the water at the vast array of creatures that have already decided to make our pond their home. And I caught a glimpse of something about 2cm long, that seemed to move like nothing else in the pond.

I could only assume that it was either a newt or a small fish. Now I can understand that the newt could have walked over to our pond, but how on earth would a fish get here.

After a few days searching, I was eventually lucky enough to witness the mystery creature, as it swam close to the edge of the pond, just below the surface. And to my amazement, it was indeed a small fish. I wanted to surprise the kids as I knew they would be really excited. So I decided to try and capture the little fish on video. This proved more difficult than I thought and initially I just got video footage of a collection of other creatures, resident in our pond. But eventually, when the fish decided to keep still for more than a few seconds, I did manage to film it.
Here is the short video I put together, demonstrating what has already captured our interest and made the addition of our wildlife pond so worthwhile... Enjoy

We have already received a lot of feedback about the identification for some of our pond creatures, including mosquito larvae, minnow and grass carp. If you are able to add further suggestions, please do so in the comments box below, as we would be very interested to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment