Sunday 8 June 2014

Latest Pond Mystery Identified - Snail Eggs

Our wildlife pond is now going from strength to strength, having been established for almost a year. We are lucky enough to have a wide variety of creatures, including snails, shrimps, larvae and of course our little fish (which has grown quite a bit). But recently I have been doing a bit of pond maintenance, which involved removing some of the weed, which has spread considerably over the last year.
I have to say at this point that I was told by our local aquatics center, this particular type of weed is a great oxygenator which keeps the water nice and clear. And I can confirm that our pond water is crystal clear, so really pleased with that.
Anyway back to the pond maintenance. Whilst removing the weed, noticed a lot of clear jelly like blobs, which seemed to contain lots of small eggs. Being our wildlife pond I was reluctant to remove anything, possibly upsetting the balance of the pond.
And so I set to work doing some research on the internet (As we do, nowadays...)

Wasn't long before I came across some images that matched what I had in my bucket. And the mystery jelly blobs appear to be pond snail eggs.

As we have a lot of snails in our pond, I have decided to remove some of the weed along with the attached snail egg capsules, which Im pretty sure will not cause any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment